travels and travails

Monday, May 01, 2023

Start to 2023 Kayak Season

Friday, April 28 was my first kayak day for this season. I rode my 17.3 Valley Etain and chose my Nimbus quill paddle. My shortish route was from the Sandpoint City Beach boat ramp to Westwood and back (6.11 nmi). 

My back was happy; so was my arthritic left shoulder - despite my classic Nordic skiing over the ski season.

Birds seen included

  • one osprey
  • many buffleheads
  • mallards
  • swallows
  • one grebe


The air temperature was about 64°F, while the water was near 42°F. The wind was quite light.

This is my favorite time to kayak on Lake Pend Oreille:

  • Waterfowl are migrating through or becoming resident for the summer. 
  • The lake is down (still by about 6 feet), discouraging the large power boats so the press of vacationers is also down - while making it safer.
  • It's just me, perhaps a few other kayakers, and fishermen.
  • The surrounding mountain peaks are still snow covered in April and early May.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home