travels and travails

Sunday, April 17, 2022

Pre-Review of Current Designs Slipstream

Introduction

 
I frequently change my kayak fleet, selling refurbished kayaks and buying replacements (a fun hobby for me). It is rarely feasible to water test each kayak before I purchase it. However, I do read reviews and am discerning. If a kayak reviewer is clearly experienced through many years with multiple kayaks, I pay attention. On the other hand, new kayakers who get a new-to-them kayak are like parents with a new baby, a baby who is invariably incredible and exactly perfect. I am 100% wary of them. Otherwise my back yard would be full of recreational kayaks and sea barges.


Before purchasing this older Slipstream, I carefully inspected the hull and deck. I made sure the skeg worked smoothly. I liked the easily replaced KayakSport hatches. My feet fit when sitting inside while wearing my largish water shoes, so I could move them around to relax my legs. The coaming was padded properly underneath so rolling would not require further modifications. Hence, I was relatively confident that my newly purchased used kayak would work for me, despite my massive 143 pound physique. Then, buying it before the season’s start, I made assorted trivial modifications such as 

  • a keel strip
  • reorganized rigging
  • a stainless steel pad eye at the bow
  • a paddle park modeled on those from the (Broze Brothers) Mariners
  • a skeg line to release a stuck skeg while underway
but nothing fundamental to how the kayak paddled. So to me the primary questions that remain are:
  • is the overall fit acceptable
  • what leaks exist (please not the skeg box)
  • is the weathercocking easily tuned out with the skeg
  • how slow is it - I don't need speed, but I need to keep up with a group
  • is the backband comfortable
  • can I roll it easily

Note that I would normally expect to modify the backband because of a compromised lower back (an old ski injury). This is almost always necessary, but I remain hopeful and won't modify the backband unnecessarily. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home