travels and travails

Friday, March 19, 2021

First Paddle of 2021 Season

It's March 18 and I'm sneaking in a paddle before winter weather temporarily returns. The lake level is still down. Refill usually starts on April 1.
  • launch at City Beach in front of the Edgewater Motel
  • water temp (at Albeni Falls) ~42 degrees Fahrenheit
  • air temp ~53 Degrees Fahrenheit
  • lake level ~2051.6'
  • kayak, Valley 17.3 Étaín (Aideen)
  • paddle, Aleut
  • wearing dry suit
Launching at the boat ramp might have required negotiating the Sand Creek sandbar and possibly involved dragging the kayak over that barrier. So we launched in front of the Edgewater Motel, despite the long walk over the gently sloped sand. Joining me were Pam Duquette and Kerry Kresge. We paddled north to Black Rock and back, a very modest 3.84 nmi. Further, we stopped for several minutes to watch an eagle take a fish to its nest and, generally, just moseyed. When finished we successfully attempted crossing the sandbar.

I used my new Aleutian paddle and found it fine, albeit not actually overwhelmed by joy. Nevertheless, it will likely become my preferred paddle. The water was so flat in the non existent wind that I could not judge the weathercocking tendency of my new-to-me kayak. My legs could move around unconstrained by the deck pod, so that was good. The skeg worked smoothly, even though it was not necessary. I may need to do some work on the seat back - it could be higher and definitely more vertical.

My compromised back bothered me toward the end of the paddle. It should improve with further trips and by remodeling the seat back. My arthritic left shoulder was pain free for the session, but became angry afterward - so good news followed by bad. My goal of being able to paddle at least 10 nmi. on successive days will prove difficult.

The weatherforecast predicts a return to winter weather, so the kayaking will retreat into limbo. Happily we will continue to ski.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home