travels and travails

Wednesday, May 06, 2020

2020 - Fourth Kayak Outing, May 5

I currently have two physical limitations kayaking, both of which cause pain. The first limitation is my arthritic left shoulder; the other is my lower back. The latter has always been an issue for my kayaking since initiating this activity in 2006.

When kayaking, an erect torso posture (maybe even slightly forward) is important for efficiency. Today's paddle showed the usual early season improvement in my back. After about 6 nmi. my back tiredand I began to slouch, but it was strong enough to finish my 7.1 nmi. jaunt without pausing. As the season progresses, I hope to maintain a strong back and proper posture for 15 nmi., about the longest trips I hope to do nowadays.

The arthritic left shoulder was a new issue last year and has no fundamental cure. So I embarked on an exercise program intended to improve musculature, tendons, etc. which will support that shoulder, reducing some of its load while paddling. Of course, I pay close attention to the style of my forward stroke - bad posture leads to pain. Today's paddle also showed improvement in my shoulder since the season's start. There is a long way to go. As the season progresses, I hope to be able to kayak many days in a row without being hindered by the shoulder problem.

By the end of today's paddle, my shoulder was not doing well, but my lower back became happy immediately afterward. I hope to try a similar trip in 2 days.












Here I am on Cinco de Mayo, dressed to paddle. The water is cold (49 degrees Fahrenheit) so I am wearing a wet suit and paddling somewhat close to shore. Additionally, the water was only slightly rough and then calmed further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home