travels and travails

Friday, October 04, 2019

End of 2019 Kayak Season

Looking back at the kayak season I note that my roll returned, but not as solid as two years ago. My bombproof roll needs work. I had an inadvertent capsize in Surge Narrows and didn't even attempt to roll because I was in an area of barnacle encrusted rocks. Rolling will require some attention next season.

My arthritic left shoulder significantly impacted my kayaking. I started the season with about 4 nmi. being a chore. I worked with some exercises I got from Hal Schmidt and, by season's end, could do about 8 nmi. without much pain. Yet the shoulder was more painful while attempting to sleep at night. I expect to get off the blood thinner, maybe within a week. Then I could take anti-inflammatories and would consider visiting an orthopod. If things get worse instead of better, I must reassess my kayaking hobby.

We've made no definite plans for next season, but would hope to visit Vancouver Island twice. Maybe we would kayak in the Nanaimo area and subsequently try Quadra again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home