travels and travails

Friday, April 12, 2019

Salacia Test Run

Salacia is a fine, well constructed kayak. She is definitely not fast, but she does like to weathercock. It's too cold to try rolling at 43 degrees Fahrenheit. Further, the lake level is still too low to find a good rolling location for a more severe test for leaks. I did not have a well fitting skirt, but had one that was serviceable. Getting it on the coaming was a challenge. I noted no leaking in any of the 3 hatches (the skeg box is happily not problematic). My test run was about 4.5 nm, with enough wind to see the weathercocking.

To combat the weather cocking I've moved the seat back as far as possible, which will also help me get into and out of the cockpit. I'll also load the rear hatch heavier. Salacia has a smooth skeg, so the weathercocking is not a major nuisance. I've ordered a better fitting spray skirt. I have also installed a paddle park.

I'll do another test run next week, but after the next series of rainy days. I don't expect the weathercocking to disappear, but it may improve somewhat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home