travels and travails

Friday, April 19, 2019

Salacia Testing Finished

I just modified the Capella 163, moving the seat further toward the back of the cockpit. Immediate results were

* to lessen weathercocking, and

* to make it easier for me to get into and out of the cockpit

This test run lasted for 2+ hours and I was happy to find the seat quite comfortable. This is somewhat unusual for me; more typically I need to reconstruct the back band when I bring a new-to-me kayak home.

There is one more improvement planned, adding a keel strip. This will be deferred until the weather warms significantly. My plan is to use only an epoxy layer, in particular, G/flex 655. I'll cover that with peel ply until the epoxy cures. The cure time is very slow in cool weather, hence the wait for warmer temperatures.

Salacia is a kayak for our visitors. It seems stable, although I've not been out in foul weather. However, we would typically avoid foul weather anyway. I haven't attempted trying to roll Salacia, waiting for warmer weather and a significant rise in the lake level (usually OK by late May).

Salacia has passed her final test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home