travels and travails

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Kayaking Lake Pend Oreille in Spring

Spring is my favorite time to kayak on our local lake.  It's a great lake, fairly large if not one of the Great Lakes. Having finished up ski season, I am ready and quite enthusiastic about getting in my kayak. The lake is drawn down for winter, typically by 10 feet. It refills during the April 1 until mid June time slot. Early in that time period, it is hard for the power boat folks to find a suitable launch site and the lake remains relatively uncrowded until Memorial Day. Hence, I am typically alone on the lake with only an occasional fisherman in a small boat.

Of course, the water is very cold in April. The lake does not freeze entirely over, but the lake temperature does start in April from freezing. Early on, I dress for immersion, pick calm days, and stay close to shore.

One of the main attractions, other than water uncluttered by large craft and jet lice, is the spring migration of waterfowl. I typically see osprey, eagles, buffleheads, geese, mergansers, mallards, coots, etc. Later there are cormorants and goslings. One of my favorites is the flock of Western Grebes, who settle in for a short time before resuming their journey. I rarely take photos, but have downloaded a few from the Internet:

Western Grebe - dives when approached by kayak


 










Bufflehead (male) - flies away when approached by kayak











Common Merganser (female) - quite different from the male









I recently encountered a group of 5 merganser hens, clustered on shore. Because of their wild hairdo, they are more interesting than the male. Their disheveled look suggests that they also have more fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home