travels and travails

Sunday, October 06, 2024

Were the 2024 Season's Goals Met?

Just before the kayak season I listed my goals for the 2024 season. So, how did it go?

1. I sold the Current Designs Slipstream. I was unable to sell the Valley 17.3 Etain, but traded it for a Valley Avocet. At any rate, we have 3 kayaks instead of 4. So this goal was more or less satisfied.

2. The Avocet for which I traded the Etain has a similar (not identical) back band problem for my particular back. This has been fixed with minicell foam. So this goal was more or less satisfied.

3. In the CD Squamish, I added some minicell padding between the coaming and my thighs. No further outfitting was needed. So this goal was more or less satisfied.

4. At this point, I have sold one kayak (CD Slipstream), not two. Had I sold another, I was planning to replace it with a cheaper classic. So this goal was not satisfied.

5. I sold the Aleutian paddle. The Greenland paddle remains. I haven't modified it to create a two piece. As mentioned in the pre-season post, somewhere in the garage I have a ferrule ready to use - if I decide to do so. This was not actually specified as a goal.

6. I did not paddle a distance exceeding my 200 nmi goal nor did I paddle as many as 40 days. Hence, these goals were not satisfied. 

Note: I reached a season's distance of 195.56 nmi on Sept. 17, which was more than the 2024 season. We then spent 10 days in NM and I had limited enthusiasm to continue kayaking in October once back in Sandpoint.

7. The Sand Creek Challenge was cancelled. It probably will not return. So this goal was nullified.

8. I did not recover my roll. Currently at age 83, I may abandon attempts to do so. This goal was not satisfied.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home