travels and travails

Monday, October 09, 2023

The Final Whimper of the 2023 Kayak Season

Sunday, October 8, was my last kayak day trip of the 2023 season. Immediately after the Cortes trip I came down with an evil, pernicious, and debilitating cough. It was persistent enough to prevent any kayaking through the remainder of September and into early October.

The lake draw down is underway, the lake level being just below 2059 feet at Hope. I launched at 3rd Street Pier and made my way up Sand Creek as far as I could go with the lower lake level. I saw many coots, running away on the water as I approached. I also saw a few gulls on the lake. Once I was on the creek there were more birds - two female mergansers, mallards and other ducks, one Western Grebe, and the plentiful Canadian Geese. The latter were foraging the creek banks, finding goose food as the water dropped its first 3 feet. Others were training as they flew in their Vees, preparing for their flight south. A few of our North Idaho geese remain resident through the cold months.

Our kayaks lie forlorn in the garage.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home