travels and travails

Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Composite Valley Avocet

I have traded my Valley 17.3 Etain for a Valley Avocet, both composite kayaks. The Avocet will fit me better, but will be slower, even for slow me. The Avocet specs are:

 

  • 3 Hatches
  • Skeg
  • Length 488 cm (16')
  • Width 56 cm (22")
  • Weight 24 kg (53 lbs)
  • Load Suitability 46 - 82kg (101 - 181 lbs)
  • Coaming: length 83.82 cm (33"), width 45.7 cm (18")
  • Suggested Paddler Weight: 100 - 190 lbs 
  • Serial #: DKJAV129K607

I want to check the actual weight at some point. Manufacturers sometimes report the weight of the kayak without hatch covers, seat, skeg, rigging, etc.

The Avocet should be slightly faster than my Squamish. The latter being both shorter and fatter. The speed difference is unlikely to be noticeable. Unlike the Squamish, the Avocet has a day hatch which I like. The 17.3 Etain had a removable pod fore the coaming, which I did not like.

The Etain back band was modified to better support my back injury. The Avocet has a different back band which may prove adequate, so we'll see. I plan to install a keel strip, a paddle park and likely make other minor modifications.

Avocet users claim that it is very maneuverable, albeit somewhat slow and with a tendency to weathercock. If it does weathercock, I will attempt to load the stern much heavier than the bow. It may be too difficult to move the seat more toward the stern.

My next blog will give a report on the Avocet's characteristics as I experience them.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home