travels and travails

Friday, August 23, 2024

Current Favorite Kayak


 

 

 

 

 

At this point I have 2 kayaks, a composite (maybe kevlar, maybe carbide) CD Squamish and a fiberglass Valley Avocet. I've had the Squamish for a few years whereas the Avocet was acquired in a recent trade. By now I've used the Avocet enough times to have an opinion.

The Avocet, at 16', is slightly longer and slightly narrower than the Squamish, but with a bit more rocker. I expected the Avocet to be the faster of the 2 kayaks, but could not really verify that. If anything, the Squamish seemed faster. 

The Avocet has a third hatch (a day hatch) which I like. It wants me to fuss with the skeg, which I don't like. The Avocet seems more nimble than the Squamish. It is in unusually good shape. The Valley hatch covers will eventually need replacement - as Valley hatch covers typically do.

The shorter Squamish, at 15' 8", is very light - just under 40 pounds. Unfortunately, it has no day hatch. Remarkably, it does not weathercock in the conditions I paddle (typically under 10 knot winds). So I rarely use the skeg and never need to fuss with it.

Because the Squamish does not require me to fuss with the skeg, it has become my current favorite. The fact that it is so light makes handling it easy while on shore. This preference could change.

Now, with 2 kayaks in my diminishing fleet, I would still like to sell one. I have the Avocet on Craigslist. However, sea kayaks are not selling well over the last two years, so I am not hopeful. I am not eager enough to sell, so that I am not offering it at a bargain basement price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home