travels and travails

Saturday, December 17, 2005

New Tricks for an Old Dog

With snow a bit too thin for carefree downhill skiing and the back country heavily tracked, what do we do while waiting for new snow? Eli got into skate skiing a few years ago and I tried it once at the end of last season with marginal success (I didn't quite die). While still bewildered by the experience, I purchased skate skis and poles on sale. Now a season later, I rented boots and tried skate skiing both Friday and Saturday on Schweitzer's rather hilly xcountry trail system.

Eli picked up the skate skiing technique immediately, back when she first started - as expected for one who is Norway born. However, I am a slow learner. Nevertheless, I was moving more toward aerobic output on Saturday, after a 93.7% anaerobic Friday. So that's my new sport going into my 65th birthday.

Although the Schweitzer xcountry terrain is challenging, the scenery is special - and as my technique improves, the pain should subside. I am already enjoying the activity. Today I researched boots on the web and also talked to some informed people and, as a result, ordered a pair costing a mere fraction of my yearly salary.

We may go out again a few times before my boots are delivered. Perhaps the added exposure will persuade me to burn the new boots upon their arrival.

My 65th birthday next Tuesday may see me skate skiing with Eli in the later afternoon and then catching dinner at L'Arcadie, the French restaurant at Schweitzer. But if there is sufficient new snow, our plans will assuredly change.

Richard
2005.12.17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home