travels and travails

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Riding like Lance

Our TV is fed from an aerial in the attic, netting us one TV station from Spokane - about 75 miles distant. Consequently, this morning Bill D'Olier and I drove up to Diane and John Rinck's home so we could watch the 10th stage of the Tour de France. We were polite and invited ourselves first. As we watched Lance Armstrong power up toward Courcheval, I thought to myself that yesterday (on my ascent to Schweitzer) I rode like Lance - unfortunately it was Lance at age 97.

At this point, I bike Schweitzer about twice per week and am slowly getting back into my summer biking shape. In between these 'big' rides, I do an occasional run and/or some single track biking. Today I ran, but Eli took two of her friends (Jan and Vicki) into the Syringa heights single track system. All three returned, but detoured to a local coffee/pastry shop on the way home.

This Friday I hope to get the Fulbright application into the mail. Then over the weekend I'll do a section of fence using the method I started employing last summer - 30 inch steel fence post stakes in concrete, then treated 4x4 posts bolted to the stakes. The wood posts are therefore above ground, significantly lessening rot, and semi-easily replaced. The fence should last beyond my lifetime, especially if I die during its construction.

Richard
2005.07.12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home