travels and travails

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Current Routine

Now that we are in Tirol, on vacation, we have settled into a routine. Eli and I bike together every other day (weather permitting) trying to choose interesting terrain and scenery, an easy task. On the alternate days, Eli does a mountain hike while I do a manly (for an old person) bike ride, sometimes with Julie or even Georg. They wait patiently for me at various sites along the route. Actually I can almost keep up with Julie, as long as the ride keeps below my high end limit.

On my manly bike rides I choose a decent vertical target and head up the hill. As I get higher and slower, I also get stinkier and gather a swarm of curious flies. The bike rolls easily over the occasional cattle guards set into the road surface, providing the only immediate distinction between me and the average alpine cow.

Eli has continued with some art projects, one being an acrylic for Georg on his birthday. We also find our way to the local Konditorei which is a real treasure in this alpine village. It would be considered excellent in a larger city - only fresh pure ingredients plus skill.

Tonight is a birthday celebration for Georg, with many friends coming over. Julie and her teenage helpers are working hard on the meal. The family celebration was earlier in the week. Today, I was sent to the yard to wash bicycles (biking amongst the dairy cows has its price).

Le Tour de France has just begun; I must go.

Richard
2004.07.03

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home