travels and travails

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Self-inflicted Brutality

The kayaks lurk in the garage, well nigh forgotten. Snow covers the ground and small dogs. Rather than fighting the drifts and ice to launch a kayak, we embrace winter and head to higher ground to play in the snow, currently lying about 8 feet deep at the top of Schweitzer.

The snow conditions (unrelated to visibility) were quite good during Audrey and Dominique's visit. In fact, the seven inches of new light snow greeting us on December 26 made for a memorable day. On the 24th, we had four inches new of wind-driven powder - not bad, just not as special.

To date this season, I've had perhaps seven days downhill skiing. We have yet to venture into the backcountry - avalanche danger has been high and, until December 27, the in-area slopes uncrowded, conspiring to remove motivation for the outback. Another possibility, is skate skiing. So today I was out on the x-country trails trying that option. For the route I chose, there were three inches of new snow atop last night's grooming.

Recreational downhill skiing does not require a high level of fitness, once your technique is reasonably solid. In contrast, I find skate skiing quite strenuous, partly because my technique remains questionable and also because my fitness is below par. Even with those flaws remedied, it will still be more demanding than downhill. In any case, today's skate ski outing was brutal.

My skate ski route is mostly uphill on the way out and consequently much easier on the way back. Another way to capture the experience is to realize that I get hot, sweaty, and borderline exhausted on the way out and then come back rather wet and at much higher speed enhancing the windchill. My hope is that I will become more fit and improve my technique so that the way out becomes aerobic rather than anaerobic. Stay tuned over the next few months as this ancient geek struggles with his mortality.

Richard
2007.12.29

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home