travels and travails

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Zwilli?

In just a bit more than two months, I'll give my final exams and then we'll head back to the states. On that trip, we hope to pick up our (used) tandem kayak and load it on the Subaru. Fortunately, the 80 pound craft is under the roof rack's 100 pound limit, as long as we leave grandmother's casket behind.

On March 8, the Thursday evening kayak sessions resume. Eli has already signed up and I hope to do so next week. Will we actually move from 'permanent beginner' status to 'inadequate intermediate'? March or April will tell.

The acquisition of the kayak has me contemplating various day trips and easy overnights on Lake Pend Oreille, but also back in this vicinity. Like back country skiing, there are safety issues addressed by knowledge that only comes with experience, hopefully not via serious mistakes. Certainly choice of route and weather observation are crucial in both activities.

As a youth I took a fair number of canoe trips in Minnesota's boundary waters and into the Quetico. I am comfortable on the water, but appropriately conservative. I realize that wet bodies are more difficult to cremate, even if found.

If I can gather a critical mass of people (maybe 'critical number' would be a better choice of words - kayak cockpits are only so big), I may plan a mid September trip back to this area, using Vancouver Island as our base for prudently chosen day trips. We now know many appropriate routes. I need to get a bit smarter first, however. I'll work on that.

We do need a name for the kayak. It's a Seaward Gemini, so for now I'll call her 'Zwilli'. Eli already rejected "Two Holer".

Richard
2007.02.17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home